Mushroom & Asparagus Noodle Bowl
Mar 21st, 2014
Roast Chicken with Apple Stuffing and Cider Sauce
- 3 1/2 lbs whole roasting chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- Apple Stuffing1 Tbs butter
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 1 onion, 1/2 finely diced and 1/2 reserved
- 2 Tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cider Sauce2 Tbs flour
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- Make stuffing by melting butter in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place apple pieces in skillet; sauté.
- Add onion diced pieces; sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in tarragon, breadcrumbs, and apple cider. Add salt and pepper; stir and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Loosen skin on breasts and thighs of chicken by sliding fingers under skin. Push stuffing under skin, distributing evenly.
- Tie legs with six-inch piece of butcher twine. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon black pepper on inside and outside of chicken.
- Place onion half inside the cavity of chicken. Place chicken in roasting pan; bake for 1 hour.
- To make sauce, transfer chicken from roasting pan to cutting board.
- Pour pan drippings into sauce pan, scraping bits from bottom of pan. Whisk in flour and warm over medium heat.
- Gradually whisk in apple cider and chicken broth. Bring to simmer; cook over very low heat for 3 minutes. Stir in tarragon and apple cider vinegar.
- Carve chicken; arrange on serving plate. Pour sauce into pitcher and pass separately.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.