Beef or Turkey Stew
- 1 lb lean beef or turkey breast, cut into cubes
- 2 Tbs whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium red/green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, finely minced
- 5 cups beef or turkey broth, fat removed
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 12 small carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 1/4 cups green peas
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour with salt, pepper, and cumin. Roll the beef or turkey cubes in the mixture. Shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef or turkey cubes and sauté until nicely brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Place beef or turkey in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over turkey or beef in casserole dish. Cover dish tightly and bake for 1 hour at 375 °F.
- Remove from oven and stir in potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition calculated using beef.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.