New York Gyro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 lb. lamb boneless leg, rolled and tied
- 4 whole wheat pita bread rounds, split
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- Yogurt Topping1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup seeded tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh oregano leaves
- 1 Tbs fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine salt, thyme, sage, paprika, and pepper. Rub spice mixture into roast.
- Place roast on rack in roasting pan.
- Roast in 325ºF oven for 1 hour or to desired degree of doneness: 145ºF for medium-rare,160ºF for medium or 170ºF for well. Remove from oven; cover with foil and let stand for 10 minutes. Internal temperature will rise approximately 10 degrees.
- Line pita pockets with spinach leaves and tomato slices.
- Thinly slice lamb and fill pitas.
- Dollop generously with yogurt topping.
- Yogurt ToppingIn bowl combine all ingredients.
- Cover and chill until serving time.
- If desired, topping may be prepared for 6 to 8 hours ahead and chilled until serving time.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.