Mexican Rice Casserole with Chiles and Cheese
- 4 cups cooked rice, white or brown
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese*, shredded
- 4 oz green chiles, chopped (one 4-ounce can)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)t
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked rice with cheese, chiles, cilantro and green onions. Mix together.
- In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, cumin, salt and pepper. Add to rice mixture and stir thoroughly. Spray a medium casserole dish or 9x9-inch (23x23cm) baking pan with vegetable oil spray. Spread rice mixture into casserole or baking dish and bake uncovered in the oven for approximately 30–40 minutes until cheese melts. Alternately, place in the microwave and cook until heated through.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn. The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.