Autumn Chicken Pot Pie
- Dough1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 Tbs cold water
- Filling2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl onions
- 2 med carrots, cut into slices
- 1 med Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp salt
- DoughIn large bowl combine flour, ginger, lemon zest, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of water over the mixture and toss with fork. The dough should be just barely moistened, enough to hold together when formed into a ball. Add more water if needed.
- Form the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- FillingPreheat oven to 450°F.
- Drop pearl onions into boiling water for 30 seconds; drain, peel. Steam pearl onions and carrots until tender.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour and ginger until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually whisk in chicken broth. Stir in pearl onions, carrots, apples, cranberries, lemon juice, and chicken. Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Season with salt and pepper. Spoon filling into deep, 10 inch ceramic or glass pie dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a circle, about 12 inches in diameter. Lay the dough over the top of pie dish. Trim and crimp edges. Use a small knife to cut several slits in the center of pie (alternatively, make decorative cuts in pie crust before setting it on top of pie).
- Set the pie on a baking sheet and place in oven on middle rack. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 400°F and continue baking for additional 20 minutes, until pie bubbles around edges and top is nicely browned. Serve while piping hot.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.