- 5 cups water
- 10 bags of black tea (try a mixture of orange pekoe and English breakfast)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 whole cloves
- 9 cardamon pods
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 star anise pods
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 8 corriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 Tbs orange zest
- 1 inch piece of ginger, sliced into discs
- 1 Tbs honey (optional)
- In a large pot, bring water to a rapid boil. Add tea bags, spices, orange zest, and ginger. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in honey and let stand 10 minutes.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and strain concentrate. Discard spices.
- Store concentrate in a sealable container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- To make chai tea, combine 1/3 cup of concentrate with warm milk (or soy/nut milk).
- Concentrate can also be mixed in with a number of recipes. Try mixing it with cookie batter for chai spiced cookies or mix with seltzer water for a chai soda!
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.