Penne with Chard, Tomatoes, and White Beans
- 1 lb penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup prepared or homemade marinara sauce
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chard, coarsely chopped
- 15 oz canned white beans (cannelini, navy or white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- Boil water for pasta and cook pasta for about 10 minutes, until done.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until onions are just starting to turn brown. Pour in marinara sauce and canned tomatoes and stir to combine. Add chard, white beans, wine (if desired), and pepper.
- Drain pasta and place in a bowl. Pour sauce over pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.