Rustic Pasta Primavera
- 8 oz uncooked penne (about 3 cups)
- Spice blend1 1/2 tsp dried basil, crumbled between the fingers
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled between the fingers
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Sauce3 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cups bite-size broccoli florets (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 large red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips and cut in half crosswise
- 1 (6 ounce) package sliced mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 2 tsp jarred minced garlic
- 2 cups bite-size chunks rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1/2 cup fat-free less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup already-shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, just until tender. Keep warm.
- Spice blendMeanwhile, stir the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- SauceHeat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli florets and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the bell pepper and cook until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the bell pepper has softened slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking. The broccoli should begin to brown.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and spice blend. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mushrooms start to lose their juice and turn a very light brown, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, broth, wine, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and toss well. Serve with the cheese.
Substitution: No wine on hand? Use 1 cup chicken broth and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice instead.
Serving Suggestion: Serve the pasta in a warm bowl for a special touch. Run hot water into the bowl, pour out, then pat the bowl dry.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using white wine.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.