Braised Beef with Mushrooms & Barley
- 1 boneless beef chuck arm, blade or shoulder pot roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lb medium cremini or button mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 1/4 cups ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown beef pot roast; remove. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic to Dutch oven; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned. Add broth and bay leaf. Return pot roast; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours. Stir in barley; continue cooking, covered, 45 to 60 minutes or until pot roast is fork-tender. Remove pot roast; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Add peas and sour cream to barley. Cook and stir over low heat just until heated through. Carve pot roast. Serve with barley.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.