Festive Rice Stuffing
- 1 1/2 cups Wehani or rice blend
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbs medium curry powder
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple
- Rinse rice and let drain. Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice, cover, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Transfer the cooked rice to a strainer and rinse quickly with cold water to stop cooking. Drain the rice thoroughly, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- As the rice cooks, heat oil in a small skillet until hot but not smoking. Add onion and toss to coat with oil. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Reduce heat and continue to cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium. Add garlic, celery, mushrooms, and curry. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in apple juice and cook just to blend.
- Add the mushroom mixture along with the raisins and apples to the rice and stir to combine. Reheat stuffing in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve the rice as a side dish or as a stuffing for bell peppers, prebaked winter squash, or eggplant.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.