Healthier Bangers and Mash
- 2 large chicken sausages
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp flour
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbs red wine
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 Tbs fat-free cream cheese
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a cast-iron skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Sauté onions for 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for an additional 10 minutes until they begin to caramelize.
- In the meantime fill a saucepan halfway with warm water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add chicken sausages and cover for 20 minutes.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- When the onions and mushrooms have caramelized, sprinkle with flour and stir to combine. Pour in chicken broth and red wine, season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Remove sausages from pan and discard water. Spray pan with cooking spray and sauté sausages until golden brown on all sides.
- Meanwhile, strain cauliflower and place in a food processor with milk, butter, and cream cheese. Pulse until smooth, season with salt and pepper.
- To serve place mashed cauliflower and sausages on a plate and cover with gravy.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.