Bread Pudding with California Dried Figs
- 2 small dinner rolls
- 1 croissant
- 1 cream cheese Danish
- 1/3 cup sliced, dried California figs (thick slices)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tbs heavy cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 Tbs brandy
- 2 tsp rum
- 1 tsp softened butter
- Brandy Sauce1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tbs brandy
- Whipped cream (garnish)
- Cut rolls, croissant, and Danish into 2-inch cubes; turn into large bowl and add sliced figs.
- Combine egg yolk and sugar in small bowl; whisk together and set aside.
- Measure cream into a non-reactive saucepan; add vanilla bean. Heat to simmer, but do not let temperature rise above 180°F.
- Then, slowly pour hot cream into egg yolk mixture, while whisking vigorously. Discard vanilla bean; stir in brandy and rum.
- Pour mixture over bread and figs; mix together to combine well. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide and spoon mixture into eight buttered individual baking dishes or ramekins. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- For Brandy Sauce, combine cream and sugar in saucepan; stir constantly over low heat until thick enough to coat back of spoon. Remove from heat and add brandy, as desired.
- To serve, spoon Brandy Sauce over reheated puddings and finish with dollop of whipped cream.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.