Butternut Squash Ravioli with Peppered-Pomegranate Sauce
- Peppered-Pomegranate Sauce2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 Tbs black peppercorns, toasted and crushed
- Homemade Butternut Squash Ravioli60 won ton skins
- 2 cups butternut squash meat
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp Madras curry powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper or chipotle powder
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Sherry Glazed Pomegranate Figs4 med black mission figs, peeled and split
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 pinch sugar
- 6 Tbs butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 1 Tbs shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup port wine
- 4 slices Italian prosciutto, each cut lengthwise into 3 strips
- 2 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley (garnish)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (garnish)
- Peppered-Pomegranate SauceCombine pomegranate juice, light-brown sugar, and black peppercorns in a small saucepan.
- Slowly reduce over low-heat until it has the consistency of syrup (about 30 to 45 minutes). Strain, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Homemade Butternut Squash RavioliMelt the butter with curry in medium sauté pan.
- Add honey and butternut squash meat, then stir over medium heat until soft.
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a simmer, and reduce until all the liquid is boiled off. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Place cooked butternut squash in a food processor and puree until smooth. Stir in the ricotta cheese, salt and white pepper to taste, and a pinch of either cayenne pepper or chipotle powder.
- Lay out 30 won ton skins on a flat work surface, placing a tablespoon of butternut squash filling in the center of each skin.
- Lightly brush the sides of each won ton skin with cold water. Top each one with another won ton skin and press around the edges of the ravioli with your finger to seal. Refrigerate covered until needed.
- Sherry Glazed Pomegranate FigsToss figs with the sherry and sugar; set aside.
- Cook homemade butternut squash ravioli in salted boiling water.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan, quickly sauté ravioli, remove from the pan; set aside.
- Add the shallots and figs to the pan. Sauté for a minute.
- Add the pomegranate juice and port wine. Sauté for another minute or two.
- Place three ravioli onto each plate along with two fig halves and three strips of prosciutto between the ravioli. Crumble goat cheese equally onto each plate.
- Drizzle peppered-pomegranate sauce over ravioli as desired. Garnish each plate with Italian parsley and pomegranate seeds.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.