Pasta with Cauliflower
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed Italian parsley leaves
- 3 cloves garlic (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup Romano cheese*, grated
- 1 lb pasta bows
- Quarter cauliflower and place in microwave in a microwave-safe dish. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for approximately 4 minutes or steam on stovetop until tender-crisp. Chop cooked cauliflower. (This may be done in advance and kept refrigerated until ready to use.)
- Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil. Add 1 Tbsp (20g) salt and pasta; bring back to a boil and cook about 8 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, finely chop Italian parsley and garlic. Combine with crushed red pepper.
- Heat olive oil in medium-size saucepan. Add parsley, garlic, and red pepper. Cook for one minute. Add chopped cauliflower and 1 tsp (6g) salt. Cook covered about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. If needed, use a small amount of pasta water.
- Drain pasta, saving a small amount of the pasta water. Put the pasta back into the pot it was cooked in. Add the cauliflower mixture. Cook together over medium heat for 2–3 minutes. If needed, add a small amount of pasta water. Stir in Romano cheese.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.