Sweet and Sour Cabbage
- 1 medium red cabbage head
- 1 medium apple
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cut cabbage into quarters. Slice away the inner core and discard. Slice the quartered cabbage into thin strips. Core apple and chop into 1/2-inch (1cm) pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add cabbage and apple and cook, uncovered, stirring for 10 minutes, until cabbage is wilted.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper, and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.