Sweet Potato Peanut Stew (or "Mafe" in West Africa)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 med yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into medium-sized cubes
- 2 large carrots, cut into thin rounds
- 2 green zucchini, cut into thin half-rounds
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder (or 1 cube bouillon)
- 1 Tbs Berbere spice
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, minced (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- Sea salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot on medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent (3 to 4 minutes).
- While the onions and garlic cook, chop up the sweet potato, carrots, and zucchini.
- Add sweet potato and vegetables to the pot; sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, water, bullion, and Berbere spice, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the peanut butter and thyme to the stew. Let it cook, covered, for another 3 to 5 minutes. Salt to taste, serve, and enjoy!
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.