Tender slow-cooked lamb soaks up the flavors of coriander and garam masala in this flavorful dish. Serve it with rice or naan to sop up the sauce.
10 hour, 35 mins
Total cook time
- 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces,
- 1 teaspoon garam masala,
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander,
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided,
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided,
- ½ teaspoon turmeric,
- 1 large onion, chopped,
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger,
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped,
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes,
- 1 cup vegetable broth,
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces,
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces,
- ½ cup cilantro leaves,
- ½ cup plain yogurt,
- Basmati rice and naan (optional),
Coat a 5 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker crock with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine garam masala, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and turmeric. Season meat with spice mixture. Place lamb in the slow cooker.
Scatter onion, ginger and garlic over the lamb. Pour tomatoes and broth over top. Cover and cook on Low for 10 hours.
Stir in green and red peppers and remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook on High for 15 minutes.
Stir in cilantro. Serve with yogurt and, if desired, basmati rice and naan.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.