Light Italian Wedding Soup (or Light Italian Meatball Soup)
This classic soup is super satisfying! Hearty and healthy, it’s got veggies, lean meatballs and dark leafy greens. Light Italian Wedding Soup makes a wonderful family dinner and is a nice first course for holidays.
Total cook time
- 64 ounces Signature Kitchens™ reduced sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1 3/4 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 3/4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (crumbled)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked O Organics® Brown Rice and Wild Rice blend (1 cup Minute Multi-Grain Medley can be substituted)
- 5 ounce bag fresh baby spinach (about 5 cups firmly packed)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and/or fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- 3/4 pound Open Nature™ Grassfed 93% Lean Ground Beef
- 1 large egg ((beaten), 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1/4 cup dry Italian bread crumbs or Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves (crumbled (or 1/8 teaspoon ground))
- 2 teaspoons canola or extra virgin olive oil
In mixing bowl, place beef, egg substitute or egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano and beat on low speed to blend well. Form into about 60 small meatballs about ¾-inch in diameter.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and brown them well, turning frequently, for 8 minutes.
In a large saucepan, combine broth, carrots, celery, green onions, and basil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover saucepan and cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are almost tender. Add cooked rice (or Minute Rice), spinach and meatballs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes more.
Serve each bowl of soup with a sprinkling of cheese or parsley if desired.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.