Sweet ‘n’ Sour Lean Mean Meatballs
Bite-sized meatballs are always a crowd pleaser! Make these for your next party or event and get ready for cheers! Leave them in a slow cooker set on low to keep them warm for the whole event.
Total cook time
- 1 pound extra lean grass fed ground beef (or extra lean ground beef)
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (finely chopped or pulse in mini food processor until fine crumbs form)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons lowfat milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of freshly ground pepper
- 2 to 6 tablespoons nonalcoholic beer, beef broth or water (optional)
- 1/2 cup Store brand chili sauce (or Heinz)
- ½ cup red currant jelly (cherry preserves can be substituted if necessary)
In mixing bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients on lowest speed (or mix well with wooden spoon).
Form mixture into 40 bite-size-meatballs (about a heaping teaspoon each). Spray a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
When the pan is hot, brown the meatballs. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Turn the meatballs over, adding the beer or broth if necessary to prevent sticking. Cover, turn down the heat, and simmer until meatballs are cooked though (about 5 minutes).
While the meatballs are simmering, combine the chili sauce and jelly in a small bowl and pour over the meatballs in the frying pan. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes, stirring and basting the meatballs frequently until the sauce thickens nicely.
If you want to keep the sauce separate, combine the chili sauce and jelly in a small saucepan and simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until the sauce is hot, blended and slightly thickened.
If desired, put the sweet and sour mixture and the meatballs in a slow cooker set on LOW and this will keep the dish hot for the duration of the party.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.