Better Homes & Gardens
Lamb and Eggplant Stew
Apricots, turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne pepper lend unique flavor to this rustic slow-cooked lamb and vegetable stew.
8 hour, 20 mins
Total cook time
- 1½ pounds lamb stew meat, trimmed,
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained,
- 1 14.5-ounce can lower-sodium beef broth,
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges,
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped,
- ⅓ cup snipped dried apricots,
- 4 cloves garlic, minced,
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed,
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric,
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon,
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper,
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes,
- ¼ cup snipped fresh parsley,
Coat a very large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add lamb and brown on all sides.
In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker stir together the lamb, tomatoes, broth, onion, carrots, apricots, garlic, oregano, turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours. If using Low, turn to High setting. Stir in the eggplant. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. Stir in parsley just before serving. To serve, ladle stew into bowls.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.