- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, packed measure
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (1 to 2 tablespoons more if needed)
- White flour for dusting the surface"
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and then set to the side.
- Briefly run the cheese through a mini food processor to chop it up (or use a knife to chop).
- Add the egg and water to a large bowl and whisk until smooth
- Add the cheese and flour to the bowl and stir to form a dough.
- Knead the dough a few times in the bowl to fully combine; add a tablespoon or more flour if needed.
- Roll dough out onto a lightly floured flat surface and pat it down with your hands or rolling pin to your desired thickness (i.e. 1/2-inch thick).
- Use an open cookie cutter to cut out the dog treats and lay them onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Combine the scraps and roll the dough to cut out more cookies.
- Bake treats until crunchy all the way through (approximately 25 minutes or more depending on the thickness of the cookies).
- Completely cool the treats on the baking sheet.
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. They won’t last that long though!"
Makes 12 bone shaped cookies using a cookie cutter about 3-inches long.